Safety Regulations




Safety First


The safety of your tenants is paramount. Accidents from equipment or services in your property will be costly to resolve and could even result in legal action if someone is badly hurt.




THE GAS SAFETY (Installation & Use) REGULATIONS 1998 Landlords must comply with the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulation 1998, and carry out all maintenance to gas appliances and gas pipe work in their property through a Gas Safety Registered engineer (CORGI). At the beginning of any tenancy, a copy of the current Gas Safety Records must be given to the tenant. You are legally responsible to arrange for an annual gas safety check and hold certificates for a minimum of 2 years. Gables Letting & Management will organise and arrange this for you under our full management service.


ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT – You aren’t required by law to get your electrical supply and appliances checked. However there are lots of regulations covering electrics and you do have a duty of care to your tenant. It’s good practice to arrange for a Portable Appliance Test (PAT) for all the electrical appliances in your property before you let it. Gables Letting & Management will organise and arrange this for you under our full management service.


THE FURNITURE AND FURNISHINGS (FIRE) (SAFETY) REGULATIONS 1988 (amended 1993) It is an offence to let property containing furniture and furnishings that do not comply with these regulations. If the property does not comply, the landlord could face up to six months imprisonment and or a fine up to £5000. The regulations state that the offence is committed when furniture is supplied “in the course of business”. Investment or professional landlords are clearly covered by legislation. A landlord letting his own home on a “one off short term” basis and not “in the course of business” has a moral responsibility to ensure that the furniture complies, but may be exempt from the regulations. The regulations apply to all upholstered furniture manufactured after 1950 including all soft furnishings, foam filled items and loose stretch covers.

Items covered by the regulations:


  • Beds, headboards & mattresses
  • Sofa-beds, futons & other convertibles
  • Nursery furniture
  • Garden furniture which is suitable for use in a dwelling
  • Scatter cushions and seat pads
  • Pillows
  • Furniture intended for use in a private dwelling, including children’s furniture.

Items that are exempt:


  • Furniture manufactured pre 1950.
  • Sleeping bags.
  • Bed linen (including duvets), pillow cases and loose mattress covers.
  • Curtains and carpets.
  • Most furniture bought from a reputable supplier from 1st March 1990 should comply. Compliant furniture will bear the appropriate labels. If the label has been removed, proof of purchase is required to prove compliance. Visit for more information on Landlords furniture & furnishings obligations.


SMOKE ALARMS – All properties built after 1991 must be fitted with mains powered smoke alarms. For older houses, the rules are less clear-cut, so the best advice we can give is to get smoke alarms fitted without question. They are cheap and easy to fit – and they save lives and your property!